Tuesday, November 23, 2010

bracing for the cold

"What are you doing, exactly?" Puck's question aggravated Sal. He was trying to read on his break. Of course, this made the third time he was trying to get through the last book of Harry Potter.

"Because I need too." Sal yawned. "I hate this book. I honestly do, how could she have ended it this way?" He sat there in the furnace room with his cigarette. He was debating if he should light it yet or now.  Puck was already having his own personal relationship with his cigarette. He was stomping a bit in the cold. Funny, he smiled, shouldn't the furnace room be warm?

"Then why put yourself through it?" Puck winced.

"Because its the only books I read." He looked at Puck as if he should know this. He lit his cigarette then. "Besides, I promised Molly, a movie and dinner." Of course, they were going to the last matinee and then share a sandwich at the bread place. But still it was kind of a date.

"Why not Fountainhead, or I don't know, T.C. Boyle?" Puck questioned. "I'm a bit of Dorian Gray fan, myself."

"Look, this is my literary outlet." Sal glared at his friend then. "Don't start throwing names at me, that I don't know."

"You are so set in your ways." Puck laughed at him then and went back to his cigarette. "Imagine, what would we do if we didn't have this?" He flicked an ash from the cigarette away, then. It was quiet. Sal went back to his chapter before break time was up.

"So would you two like some company?" Puck shrugged as he put out his cigarette.

"I don't care." Sal's thin shoulders shrugged inward. "Its a free country."

"Tell you what, you take care of the matinee and I'll pay for the pizza after the show." Puck offered.

Sal smiled, that would be fine with him. "Say, you ever go to one of the Harry Potter's?" He watched Puck zip up his coat.

He shook his head, no.

Sal nodded, clinging to his smile. He guessed Puck must be a true friend then, or he was just doing this because he'd do what ever Tess asked him to do. No, maybe he was his friend. Really.

7 comments:

Em [the writer] said...

There's a lot of guys with long hair in this story. I'm liking this story but I might need a little low down on it..

ellie said...

Sal is complicated.

Nikolo Bulaun said...

is that rachelle winstead in your header? i so love her! shes so hot in scott pilgrim.

http://lifespamphlet.blogspot.com/2010/11/colorful-photo-shoot.html

better days said...

who knows, I think Puck is more literary.

meg said...

I liked some of the stuff Puck mentioned..to read.

Cafe Fashionista said...

Sal confuses me. :/

autumn said...

"Puck was already having his own personal relationship with his cigarette." -- I feel the same way. :))