Sunday, November 21, 2010

its the most wonderful time of the year

"Could people just stop screaming?" Molly was having a miserable day. She didn't want to think about the cold, or the holiday. Or all these babies crying at the library.

"Who? What?" Tess looked at her blankly. She was checking in children's books as fast as she could.

"I did something." Molly did look perturbed.

"Like what?" Tess winced. "It can't be that bad." Tess slightly grimaced, but soon put on her smile to help some young mom with a bunch of board books and Dora DVDs to take home. Soon she was back to check on Molly who had to call a hold on a book.

"I co-signed a new car for Sal." She felt as if she might fall in the floor and have a sluggish fit of some sort. She hadn't slept since getting him the electric blue sporty KIA.

"You co-signed?" Tess couldn't stop staring. Molly told her how awful his car was. He'd been pouring loads of money into it, and it still stalled. She was tired of him not having a vehicle they could rely on.

"Now, what am I gonna do about the holidays, huh?" Molly sat there at her desk, behind the glass window.

"Relax, you can have dinner with us." Tess grinned. Granted, Puck would probably do most of the cooking. He wanted to fry it in the back yard.

"I don't even want to think about Thanksgiving. Promise, you won't let me shop on Black Friday?" Molly was serious. She might have to be hogtied and locked away for the day.

"OK." Tess shrugged. "I never shop on the day after Thanksgiving."

"Never?" Molly wondered if she were mental. "We get up at four in the morning. My Mom gives me a list. I head out for the malls with my cousins, and we wait in line to get in department stores."

"You poor thing." Tess shook her head. "You're spending the day with me." She smiled then as she walked away to help someone at the counter.

Here, they had a new car and no place to go.

5 comments:

lily said...

Cool about them having dinner with Puck.

ellie said...

Its hard times for many.

meg said...

Aw, well, thems the breaks. Hopefully, Tess can help.

She is Sara said...

They are really good friends :)

Cafe Fashionista said...

What a wonderful group of friends!! :)