Monday, August 1, 2011

little moments

"How would you feel if I joined the Air Force?" Tess wiggled about the kitchen to her own little dance as Puck was steadying the watermelon on the counter.

"Are you wanting me to cut my finger off?" He looked at her that it was no joke to him. "I thought we were getting married?"

"Well, yeah. But just pretend I'm going." She winked.

"That's not something you pretend about." He looked at her. "Are you really wanting to go?"

"No." She shrugged with a wince. "But would you miss me?"

"Yes. I would. I'd be worried about you. All the time." He steadied the watermelon again. This time he hacked it open with a thick butcher knife. the melon was seedless and red ripe. He smiled.

"Now comes the hard part, finding enough containers to put it in." She went through the cabinets, looking for Tupperware and lids. Lots of lids.

"See why I need you around?" He cut half moon slices then traced out the rine with the end of the knife and stared making bite size for a container she'd found for him.

"We do make a good team." She nudged her side into his.

"Yes, I do think so." He nodded. "You love my garden as much as I do." She nodded.

"But you are the master of the raspberry jam." She sighed.

"Next time, it'll be your turn. We'll make green apple jelly." She was not amused at the hot water bath after the jars of jam were made last weekend. Tess didn't see the point.

"Its what you are suppose to do. You want the jars to seal." He reminded her now.

"Thank god you're not making water melon jelly." She grabbed a chunk to eat.

"What about watermelon salsa?"

"No. I don't think so." She fed him a piece then.

"You sure you're not going into the Air Force?" He looked at her.

"Nope. Just seeing how you'd react." She fessed up, touching his nose.

"You know, I love you and well I guess I'd have to be your Air Force husband." He kissed her on the cheek. "If it came to that."

"You have watermelon to cut up." She reminded him, stealing another chunk.

"You are a slave driver." He went back to work. He couldn't think now of a time when he didn't like Tess.

6 comments:

lucy and sarah said...

I think everyone needs to know a couple like them.

She is Sara said...

Haha, this was cute :)

Cafe Fashionista said...

They are so adorable! :)

caitlin and megan said...

Oh, Tess..she can always put Puck to the test.

Stephanie said...

how completely cute and adorable!

Eternally yours,
Stephanie

Zabrinah said...

I agree with Lucy and Sarah's comment. Everyone needs to know a couple like them!

Happy writing,

~~Zabrinah