Sunday, October 16, 2011

untieing the knots

Three days off in a row. Two of them were mainly staying put on the couch. Dax was afraid he might be fired. But, the boss told him to take it easy. He'd gotten a couple of phone calls from the nursing staff. He was getting better, but it was slow. Some guys from work brought his truck out. Of course, they teased him about the pretty girl who picked him up at work.

Dax could hardly stand their jokes about him being out of commission, and they wished they could have some of that. Thankfully, Michelle wasn't there to hear any of it. He didn't really want her help. Besides, he hated for her to see him like this. Sick. Helpless. But she did come out after work and brought him brownies and a casserole. They walked around out back because the doctor kept telling him to walk if he was going to be stronger.

"So did you ever make it to bed?" She asked after she found a zucchini he didn't know was in the garden. He shook his head, no.

"Why don't you have a good bed? Maybe that's why you have such a bad back." She shrugged carrying the big squash as if it might be a baby.

"Well, its just me." He shrugged back, not ever thinking having a good bed might do the trick. "You think I really need one?"

"Look, you're the only person I've ever met who just sleeps on a mattress. No covers, no pillows. Didn't you ever have a favorite room, growing up?" She winced.

"Not really." He shook his head.

"I bet your grandmother would really be upset with you, not having a real room for yourself." She told him as she dug under more vegetation for vegetables in his back yard.

"I never knew my grandmother." Where was as she coming up with this stuff? He tried to help, but he mainly watched as she grabbed more squash and even a melon.

"I saw a picture of you and your grandmother." She smiled then.

"Oh, that..that's my Mom." He didn't know why he kept the photo. It was old. Still, it was the only photo he had of her.

"Your Mom?" Michelle didn't believe him.

"I didn't know her very long." He'd never really talked about it before. "When she died, I had to live with this sister, she was my Dad's daughter. She didn't really know me. But she was the closet thing to a relative. She didn't really want me around, but she liked the social security. Then when I got this land, she was going to go to court over it. But really, it is my land. My mother's land so she decided to give up." Dax sighed, wishing he hadn't said so much about Candace. "We haven't spoken to each other in years."

"She sounds awful." Michelle told him.

"She could be." He agreed. "She really wasn't into me having school lunches or anything else." He left it at that.

They were quiet then. The wind blew harder. Dax's dark hair flew around his face. From the chill in the air, winter was on its way.

8 comments:

Cuppykirsten said...

I loved this. Simply loved.

With love, Kirsten

ivy's closet said...

Wow, he has had it tuff.

lucy and sarah said...

Really, like how this is going.

meg said...

Oh, I'm glad he talked about this.

The Many Colours of Happiness said...

I like this!

Cafe Fashionista said...

I'm so glad he's opening up about...everything. :)

She is Sara said...

Wow, he is really opening up!

Cloudy said...

I really like the text and i am glad he is opening up!
You are talented .)

PS: Thx as well for your lovely comment on my interview with SPELL DESIGNS...it means a lot to me as this interview was special for me.

Love from Germany, Cloudy x