Sunday, January 1, 2012

not quite on recyle

Puck read in the paper about someone getting married. But he didn't mention it to Tess. Wasn't their problem. It was behind them. The future was their's and it was a New Year.

"OK, what we must do is figure this out." He poured champagne in their new wine glasses that Molly got them for Christmas. They were in their room. Alone. They'd just watched THE SWITCH in bed. It was a good laugh. And he was glad they hadn't gone out. After all, Tess's feet hurt from her day at the library. She had off Sunday and Monday, but she'd had to work the Saturday, New Year's Eve. She'd been on her feet all day so he brought her French toast and strawberries in bed with lots of whip cream. And that's where they'd stayed. It was like their little oasis. And now it was time to ring in the new year.

"Figure what out?" Tess looked as if she'd lost him.

"You know. Us. Getting married. It can't take all year to decide on a time and place, you know. We're not getting any younger." He reminded her.

"Well, its winter." She bit into a strawberry. There was always an excuse.

"And it feels like spring." Someone had definitely put a whammy on them. "How about Valentines day?" He tossed out there, figuring she wouldn't go for it. She didn't. Shaking her head as she took another bite out of the fat strawberry. She was right. Too sappy. They weren't exactly a Nicholas Sparks novel.

Puck sighed. "I'm beginning to think you don't want to marry me."

Tess rolled her eyes.

"Its not what you think." She sounded as if it were a promise. "I-I wish I had a degree, you know, something, where I'm really contributing..before..you know, we get married."

"You can work on a degree. I'm not keeping you, from getting an education." Puck smiled brightly as he took her hand. "But you can do that after we get married."

"I know. Its just." She sighed.

"What? There will always be something, won't there?" He looked at her hard then, trying to figure it out. "I know you love me." She turned from him then.

"Yes, I love you." She hugged herself. "Its just...me." She bit her bottom lip. "You make me happy, and..and I don't want to lose that. I don't." She shook her head and looked back at him.

"I know. And-" He drew a blank. He honestly did.

"You haven't met my mother." She said so grimly.

"OK, I'll meet your mother." He almost chuckled. "And then we'll get married." He drew her back to him.

She didn't exactly say Yes when he held her in his arms, but he thought he got an OK, under her breath.

5 comments:

Sara said...

I hope she picks a date soon! They are so sweet.

Anonymous said...

Lets hope for the best.

ivy's closet said...

I hope this is their year!

lucy and sarah said...

I think they need to get Sal and Molly moved out, first.

Cafe Fashionista said...

2012 is bound to be amazing for them both! :)