Saturday, September 3, 2022

Give me the palm of your hand



 Really, Stevie didn't work all that far from where J got on at the BX. Still, he felt he should wait a few weeks before he showed up there to eat lunch. He didn't want to bother J getting used to the new job. 

Yes, there was potential. He could learn a lot there and maybe if he worked a while and got a government position it might lead to better things.

Of course, Stevie wasn't expecting much at the child care center. He was shocked when they said yes to him working there. 

"But you're Mimi's son," The director smiled and gave him a slap on the back. "You've learned from the best."

"I wouldn't say that," Stevie wasn't sure he should even be here. Was he really fit to take care of little ones?

"We're putting you with the four-year-olds." The director told him. That was where his mother was teaching. She'd had to stop carrying little one because of her back. She'd had several neck surgeries. And she was getting old. "We need the help." She'd told him. "If it works out, we can get you into classes. We can pay for that."

Naturally, Stevie hadn't thought of that. She classified them as workshops that were college credit.  It looked like he was going to be schooled, one way or another. 

Sure, he was practically shaking in his sneakers the first day. He changed into a daycare polo and was told not to wear jeans but chinos tomorrow.  Oh, it kind of felt like going to a dance. He didn't have any idea what to expect. He wasn't certain of the curriculum since there was a lot of play going on. 

And then she found him. "It's you! I want you to be my prince."

Stevie almost laughed out loud, but she was serious. She was Haylie, all frilly and a girly fashionista.

"I don't want to call you Mr. Stevie." She told him with such sass of a four-year-old. Of course, a thought came to Stevie, wondering if Holly was like this at that age.

"Because I don't want to," she was adamant. "You are my Prince Charming."

"I see." Stevie nodded. "But why?"

"Because I need one," she hugged herself and told him that she had a unicorn waiting for her in Texas. "We're going to live on the beach."

"How do you know all this stuff?"

"Because mommie said so."

"Oh really?" Stevie shook his head. 

"We were supposed to be there already," Haylie said with a sigh. "I really want a unicorn."

"I bet you do."

"And a prince too." She looked up at him as if he would have to do.

"Well, I'm not going anywhere. Better call me Mr. Stevie." He smiled back. But the name never stuck.

8 comments:

  1. Child are so sweet
    I love this chapter and this characters, I hope know more soon
    Thanks for sharing
    Kisses ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG como se esta poniendo ^^
    Besos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting 😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how Stevie's getting on at the daycare! This line is so funny and clever: "It looked like he was going to be schooled, one way or another." And how cute is Haylie? She's too much with her unicorn and prince charming dreams and plans for living at the beach. It's sweet that she reminds Stevie of Holly.

    Love those green picture frames in the collage!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the chapter. I love smart kids who say what's on their mind.
    Xo
    https://www.dearlytay.com.br/

    ReplyDelete