Saturday, September 24, 2022

I know I'm stronger in my mind than reality

 


"I dunno if I like this," Holly was squeamish about having people over.

"But, it's Stevie and Jay," Carrie responded. After all, she'd made dinner again, which was just mac'n cheese and a spinach salad with strawberries. Naturally, she cleaned up. Holly at least followed and dried a dish or two to look like she was helping.

"Then..then we should go out." Holly thought that best.

"No, I want to cook. You don't have to do anything." Carrie shrugged. She was even buying the groceries. 

"Well," Holly practically winked at Carrie although she wasn't watching. "If you insist." She liked when others bought things. She really thought she was doing enough to let Carrie stay here. Although, their relationship was quite platonic. Holly wasn't drunk, nor on the run from thugs lately. Yes, it was such a peaceful life, it was totally boring. But she knew she couldn't fix that. 

"I'm just glad you have that job. I  hope it's rewarding." Holly didn't quite believe that. But she knew Carrie would have to suffer some. It seemed that way when starting a job. She remembered that at the beginning of her career at the University was just making coffee and making copies. Obviously, she had no idea how to make a pot of coffee and the copy machine was such a headache. But somehow, she sufficed. It was like an old hat she seldom had to wear anymore.

She went on to help clean the kitchen. Although, Carrie was the winner when it came to housekeeping. Really, she'd never done this much cleaning in her life. Not even at home. Carrie dug under the cabinets of the stovetop.

"What are you doing?" Holly sounded as if she wasn't supposed to go there.

"There are few things you never use. Maybe you should send them to the thrift place," Carrie said while she was cross-legged in her tracksuit.

"Um, but..but.." Holly didn't want to think about it. "These were given to me by my Granny." Of course, back then she'd promised her grandmother she would make good use of then when she started a family of her own. Now Holly felt she'd gone against the grain. She would never be that granddaughter that her Granny hoped for. "Just leave it alone, for right now."

Carrie nodded. Finally, Carrie looked up at her. 

"What?" Holly couldn't think there could be anything else. She wanted to get out of the kitchen. Maybe they could find a new show to watch that wasn't about wildlife in the woods.

"I want to ask Liam if he can join us,"

"Liam?" Holly winced hard. "But..but that would mean three guys and two girls." She didn't like the math.

"It's not a sex party, it's just dinner," Carrie sighed as if Holly needed to get her head out of the gutter.

11 comments:

  1. I hope that Carrie inspires Holly to get out of her comfort zone.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This part about new jobs is so true. And I love the hat analogy!
    "Obviously, she had no idea how to make a pot of coffee and the copy machine was such a headache. But somehow, she sufficed. It was like an old hat she seldom had to wear anymore." Holly and Carrie are having some tense times. The end is so funny:

    "Liam?" Holly winced hard. "But..but that would mean three guys and two girls." She didn't like the math.

    "It's not a sex party, it's just dinner," Carrie sighed as if Holly needed to get her head out of the gutter.

    I'm anxious to see how this dinner goes!

    And there are my blue flowers again, peeking out from the collage! I love how versatile they are -- and how they contrast with Carrie's cartoon-print hoodie. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the chapter. I understand Holly's concern.
    Xo
    https://www.dearlytay.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for other incredible chapter, I love this story!!!
    I hope you have an amazing week
    Kisses ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. "It's not a sex party, it's just dinner" lol

    I felt for Holly when she was thinking of her grandma

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful dinner always covers homemade foods.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting end :3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Homemade dinner is always a nice return gesture.

    xx

    ReplyDelete


  9. "It's not a sex party, it's just dinner," Very funny. I was reading this in public and giggling the whole time.

    ReplyDelete